Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Why I'll Be Writing 62 Letters This Summer and Dedicating Each One to Maya Angelou



When Maya Angelou passed away, my very first thought
was sadness and then regret.  I regretted never taking even
10 minutes to sit down and write her a thank you note.

A note telling her how much courage she gave me through
reading about her life.  A note telling her how many of her sayings
grounded me, and still do.  A note telling her you have given me
strength and I didn't even know you.

Bless you.  Thank you.
I appreciate you.

I don't want to feel this type of regret again.  To honor her and what she has done, I am going to handwrite one letter a day to
all the people I owe thanks to (even though 62 letters would never cover all the thanks I owe to others), along with some apology letters that are long overdue.

I am going to photograph each letter, so I can reach my goal
by holding myself accountable.  My hope is that this simple
action might inspire others to break out the stationery
and pen one to someone - anyone who could benefit from
their acknowledgement.

Miss Angelou made me believe words are powerful.
They can take on a life of their own.
With honor to her, I intend to honor others.

No comments: