Wednesday, April 7, 2010

My Sister Designer for Michael Kors

If you did not read my post last week about my incredibly artistic family, you might have missed out on one important part of the story. When I started my business in 2008, the one thing people kept saying to me over and over again was...

"This sounds so perfect for you, because you are so creative."

And I would kinda laugh in my head. Me? Creative? You must be confusing me with my family. But, after thinking about what some of my relatives do, I know why I like my job. Because I was raised in a household of highly creative folk.



So, my oldest sister, Karen, is the designer for a line called Michael Kors. Maybe you have heard of it? She designs the Michael line. Having worked for the likes of Liz Claiborne, Tahari, Tommy Hilfiger, Jones New York and a slew of others, she has paid her dues and worked extremely hard to get to this point.

I remember her selling clay animals on the driveway of our house in Stamford, Connecticut. Her paintings and watercolors were framed and used as art in our house.

She can draw.
She can paint.
She has an eye.

Kinda hard to think you can beat this. She is the oldest child. And she forged the way for all of us to sort of find our creative spirit.

She does not like to tell people what she does or talk about her job. She would probably be mad that I wrote about her - typical New Yorker. The one thing I have on my side is that she is so busy that she will never see this AND I am not lying here . . . she does not know how to get to my blog. I send her the link, and I get voice mails saying she is trying to get onto it, but can't figure it out.

Karen...you set the bar.

No comments: